T26 - Treatment of kitchen waste in a wormery

If you are using a small-scale wormery to process kitchen waste and produce compost you will need to apply for a T26 exemption.

With this exemption you can:

i.   treat up to 6 tonnes of paper and cardboard (20 01 01) and

ii.  biodegradable kitchen and canteen waste (municipal, commercial, industrial and    institutional) (20 01 08)

iii. during a twelve month period to

iv. produce a stable sanitised vermicompost.

If your kitchen waste comes from a premise which handles meat or products of animal origin you will need to comply with the Animal By Product Regulations. Unfortunately food waste treated in a wormery will not meet the temperature requirements of the ABPR, so you may only be able to use a T26 on an on-site situation i.e. where the food waste is produced on-site, treated on-site and the finished compost is used on site. It's best to discuss your own particular circumstances with your local Animal health Office.

additional info

Last Updated on Monday, 23 August 2010 08:22